Optimism is the opposite of pessimism. It is seeing a positive outcome in situations or thinking the best will happen. The benefits of optimism are many. Teaching our children to be optimistic is one of the greatest gifts we can give.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
1. Less likely to become depressed
2. Feel happier on a daily basis
3. Manage stress more effectively
4. Enjoy life more
5. Have lower anxiety levels
6. Don't blame self when things go wrong
7. Less likely to get sick with things like the common cold
9. Take stumbling blocks in stride
10.Good role models for others
Being optimistic is great, but we must be weary of unrealistic optimism. This is when people become overly optimistic to the point of being unrealistic.
For example, all though all is pointing towards a negative outcome the person ignores all these clues and continues to think a highly positive outcome will happen. This can cause situations to become worse as the unrealistic optimist doesn't plan for situations and continues to blindly think the inevitable will not happen.
The optimist says........